PSLE English Exam is the most important examination for a child to take. It determines their future in Science and Arts streams. Good grades will open doors to top secondary schools, scholarships, and great career opportunities. On the contrary, a bad score might limit a student’s options considerably.
One of the things we have noted at Phi Learning Singapore is that once students have received their PSLE results, they usually have little time before they have to choose their secondary school stream. In recent years, parents are sending their children for extra tuition in English in Singapore, especially after the release of PSLE exam results because it is one of three compulsory subjects taken together with Malay and Mathematics by all Primary-school leavers who do not have any plans to attend a school offering a Chinese-medium curriculum.
Why do Students need to take PSLE English Tuition in Singapore?
In the PSLE English exam, students will be tested on their ability to communicate orally and write coherently in standard written English and their understanding of the language through comprehension passages. Thus, it is important for them to learn how to answer questions related to grammar usage and writing skills, which forms the main focus of an English tutor’s syllabus.
The road to good grades begins with good preparation. Students should read widely and frequently so that they have a solid foundation before going into the examination hall. Parents who want their child to excel in this subject can engage a private teacher or choose from a variety of tuition centers for English in Singapore.
A good private tutor from a reputed PSLE English tuition center can adjust the teaching style to suit the child’s learning rhythm and pace as well as work closely with his/her parents to ensure that the child’s progress is followed up regularly. Receiving English tuition from a good PSLE English tuition center in Singapore is also important because the child can receive blended coaching and develop life-long learning skills.
Teachers under such organizations are usually trained at the graduate level and include professional educators. Such centers offer students various topics for discussion and encourage group interactions during lessons. The main aim of such English tuition is to help students enhance their communicative competence through language practice activities which will enable them to express themselves better with correct pronunciation and intonation, with a high degree of accuracy.
Different PSLE English tuition classes for primary students in Singapore offer different emphases. Some focus on grammar and comprehension, while others drill their students on test-taking skills for the PSLE English exam. They also develop the student’s overall communication ability through communicative activities and games, which can help him/her score better in this subject.
What are the Best Steps to Get Your Child Ready for PSLE English Exam?
Getting your child ready for the PSLE English exam includes giving your child the right advice to help them succeed in learning this subject. It’s important that you understand how your child learns best to structure lessons accordingly.
Some tips are given below to help students prepare for their upcoming PSLE English exam: –
- Set goals for learning. The aim in this case should be to engage, motivate and encourage the child to work harder. It is important that these goals be measurable and achievable. For example, aim for getting 90 marks instead of worrying about getting an A
- Make learning fun by putting up motivational posters at home and offering rewards for achieving small milestones within a week or month. You may also try other creative hacks like using games.
- Take stock of your child’s strengths and weaknesses so you know how to guide them to do better in the subject.
- Enroll your child for PSLE English tuition classes in Singapore. If possible, enroll him/her with experienced teachers who offer specialized classes, so they can learn more quickly, work at their own pace, customize teaching methods to suit them best, and understand key concepts easily
- Learn with your Child. You can guide your children to do better in this subject by learning together. You should ask the child questions to check for understanding so you can know whether the child has learned the core concepts
- Practice makes perfect. The more students practice answering exam papers, the more confident they will be when it comes time for them to sit the real paper. Taking practice tests under timed conditions is an excellent way of doing this, as errors are then easy to identify and rectify. Parents should offer whatever assistance is necessary if their child struggles with a question during practices
- Build Confidence. Many students lack confidence because of high expectations from parents, teachers, or themselves. They believe that nothing they do is good enough and may react with anger or depression if something does not go as planned.
- Parents should help reduce stress levels by encouraging their children to stay positive, practice looking on the bright side, be optimistic and make a list of their strengths and praise from teachers and friends.
- Re-evaluate Learning Priorities – Students can lower their chances of failing in exams if they revise topics they find difficult only after mastering those that they find easy. By doing this, they will save time and also maintain self-esteem because it’s better for them to get 60 marks than try to answer questions that may be too hard for them and cause frustration. Parents need to monitor their child closely, so he/she focuses on the syllabus, revises only topics that have been taught, and avoids wasting time on last-minute cramming.
However, students who are weak in reading comprehension should be encouraged to read more regularly so they can build up their vocabulary knowledge. Students who are too reliant on textbooks need to learn how to answer questions based on what they remember from previous lessons rather than always turning to textbooks during exams. Parents should also help encourage these children by visiting the school library at least once a week.
Teaching your child is an important task for all parents, but it becomes even more challenging if your child is struggling academically. Parents’ role is particularly pivotal when it comes to the PSLE English exam because this subject requires good command of both written and spoken English.
We provide dedicated PSLE English tuition in Singapore for students. Our programs are aimed at developing each student’s key skills like problem solving, and topic comprehension. Contact us now to book a slot for your youngster. Call: +65 6284 1737
Phi Learning English
80 Marine Parade Road 09-03 Parkway Parade, 449269
+65 9148 6607